What time is it?
That’s right, #BloggingBronicosBrain time!
Today we’re talking about consistency.
What does it mean to be consistent?
I’ve thought about this a lot. Often, when people talk, write, or preach, they use the word consistent without actually defining what it means to be consistent.
So, here’s Merriam-Webster’s definition of the word:
CONSISTENT –> unchanging in nature, standard, or effect over time.
Hmm? – unchanging in nature, standard, or effect over time? That’s kind of confusing.
But it seems to me that when it’s used as an adjective to describe someone or something, the concept of consistency refers to sticking to a course, regardless of what it is, the way we do it, or the effect it may have on us over a period of time. Let’s further break this down though using the three parts of its definition:
- Unchanging in Nature: What we do is what we do! That’s how I see it. When we say our nature is unchanging, it means we set out every day to achieve our goals and dreams. As an example, we don’t waver from going to soccer practice because, to be consistent in its nature, we practice every day to achieve our goals and dreams that align with that.
- Unchanging in Standard: This one is a tad more self-explanatory. When we do something, the standard involves the same level or quality of that effort. Success and moving to higher levels require two things:
- To hold oneself to a high standard.
- To maintain that standard day after day.
- Unchanging in Effect: This one is my favorite because it is completely controlled by attitude and effort (and you know how much I love a great attitude and a full effort). In essence, the unchanging effect means that regardless of the circumstances surrounding our goals and dreams, we stay the course. In the face of whatever we don’t have control over, we remain committed to achieving our goals. Because of our commitment to achieving a goal, we are consistent no matter what!
In summary, consistency means that we strive to achieve the same goal every single day, that we hold ourselves to a high standard every single day, and that we keep our focus on our goal no matter what external circumstances arise.
I hope that makes it clearer for you!
My favorite quote about consistency comes from critically acclaimed author, World-renowned speaker, educator and pastor, Eric Thomas, Ph.D.
Execution is absolutely important in whatever it is we want to do, but then we need to focus on executing consistently at a high level. To attain our goals and dreams, we must be unchanging in nature, standard, and effect over time.
Don’t let circumstances determine your decisions, attitude or effort —> remain as consistent as possible!
I believe in you.
Charlotte FC #13
Thank you so much for reading and your support!